September 19, 2016

Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua / Ometepe Island, Nicaragua

Below are photos of Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua. The lake and island are part of the area the Nicaraguan government has approved to build a dam. While it's unclear when the dam's construction will arrive to this area, the environment will forever be altered. My hope (as an outsider), was that this lake would be protected by the government as a national park, particularly because the island itself was home to indigenous peoples throughout history (including the Mayans). You can read more about the proposed dam here.  If you are interested in learning more about permaculture and visiting Finca Bona Fide for a tour, delicious veggies and views of the Volcán Concepción from a tree platform, you can find more information on their website.

Early morning in Isla de Ometepe
Mainland in the distance
The Mainland (Rivas) Later in the Day
View of Concepción at Dusk from the Charco Verde Reserve

Concepción Above the Ferry Dock

Concepción from Finca Bona Fide, a small self-sufficient permaculture farm

Banana Trees on Finca Bona Fide
     
Concepción Closer to Sunset
Lago de Nicaragua at Sunset

1 comment:

  1. Hi Whitney,

    (It's Gina Grimaldi; I'm not sure if my name went through on the comment thing.)

    Holy wow, these photographs are stunning! A dam destroying this area just seems criminal. I hope something else can be worked out; I'm glad you got to see it in person, at least.

    It reminds me of the recent movie _The Revenant_ and its accompanying documentary; they address analogous issues of the abuses toward native populations, lands, animals, and ecosystems. If you haven't seen them, I highly recommend both! They're beautiful, brutal, and unforgettable. I think most everyone involved is legitimately trying to work toward better earth-care.

    Anyway, I hope you're doing well; I was thrilled to see your blog pop up in my Feedly reader. And I'm eternally impressed at your intrepid adventures. Miss you and would love to catch up by email or otherwise soon.

    Teddy says hi; he's NINE AND A HALF years old now! And he's still my mischievous angel puppy.

    Much love and mad respect to you,
    Gina G






    ReplyDelete